Monday, September 8, 2008

Wine Review: Bonus Double First Review!

Ok, so I made a huge mistake.

Last week I had two new wines that I've never tried before. It would be perfect for my first review, right? Well, I made the dumb mistake of not writing the review as I was trying them. I didn't even take notes...

Both wines are from California by Meridian Vineyards. One was a 2007 Pinot Grigio, and the other a 2005 Merlot. Unfortunately, all I can recall is that the white was not too sweet, and the red was quite strong.

Let me try to salvage this review.

An interesting point is that I chose these two because I am cheap. Yep, I'm cheap. I looked at the local grocery store's wine selection and quite a few were on sale. These two were the best deal in my budget. They were $6 each on sale and a regular $11. Nothing came close to saving $5 like these two did.

This begs the question, does price have any relationship to the quality of a wine?

Well, usually, but it's not that simple.

I wish I could go to the wine isle and ask myself, "do I want a $3 stomachache tonight or just a $5 hangover tomorrow?"

I am a vino newbie myself, but I have enough of a palate to tell the difference between a merlot from a gallon jug and one from the top shelf. So my advice is this - stay away from the jugs of wine, anything that has "MD" on the label, and anything from a box. Try finding something on sale at the grocery store. Get a notebook or some way to take notes on it.

Wine isn't as simple as red or white.

Oh, and for the record, both of the Meridian wines were good.

No comments: